02 May 2009

Fun With Cardboard

One of my best 'mom-spirations' ever!

J* is easily bored with his toy selection. As I wondered what I could do (short of getting new toys constantly), I thought of hiding and rotating toys. Since we are very short on storage space, I wasn't sure I could make it work. Then, the mom-spiration'! Cardboard to divide half of the shelf. Look closely, and you will see that there is white cardboard blocking off the back half of each cubby. Every few weeks, I hide the toys that have been out and switch them with toys that have been hiding! This simple idea has breathed new life into our play time! YIPEE!



I have heard people say that children often have more fun playing with the boxes their gifts come in than they have with the actual toys. I am not sure if that is always the case, but we have gotten a lot use out of several different boxes around our house. Here are a few of our cardboard creations! Enjoy.

Car seat box....I mean playhouse!
(complete with pipe cleaner door and window handles)


diaper box...oh, I mean deluxe cook top, stove, and sink combination
(complete with play food that is probably toxic plastic, photoshopped burners ala joey, basin from hospital for the sink, and an old towel bar as the stove handle)

3 comments:

Carol and Tyler said...

hahah!!! that's awesome!!! i want you to build me one...not for my kid either...for me!!!!

Mary Postert said...

Love it. Jenny made a stove like that for Alex and he plays with it ALL the time. Now you just need to get him a little apron!

J-Lo said...

Look at those creative juices. Love it!

PS-I can't believe you've posted FIVE times since I last checked. You go, girl!