02 February 2009

WiDe MouTHeD FRoG

I have been composing this post in my mind since the day Luke was born. (Okay, that probably set your expectations a little too high!) When we first spent time with him, I noticed that he has the ability to purse his lips so tightly that they are less narrow than his little nose. Looking at his face like that reminded me of a story my Mom used to tell us as kids. It is called "The Wide Mouthed Frog".

For those of you not familiar with the story, a wide mouthed frog visits several animals asking them, "What do you feed your BABIES!" (All caps to emphasize the fact that when you tell the story, you use a wide mouthed when he talks...similar to the following picture)


Each animal he talks to tells him a different food, and his response is "OH!" (again with a wide mouth) Then he approaches a snake. The snake says, "I feed my babies wide mouthed frogs!" In self preservation he responds (with tightly pursed lips this time...as in the following picture)

"oh! don't see many of those around here, do ya?"

Here's to my little wide mouthed frog!

9 comments:

Jana said...

That's so cute. I didn't know that story, but now that I do: The pictures are perfect!

Cute baby, you have there!

Carol and Tyler said...

ahahahahhaah!!! that's hillarious! Glad to see all that reading of stories to Jakey while Luke was in the womb paid off. He'll be telling you the stories in months and then you can sell video footage of him to Larry King Live or something. can I be your spokesperson?

~ kietra ~ said...

I LOVE that book!! His facial expressions are priceless!! LOVED this post, Tiff! Hope you are doing well balancing the two!

Kerri said...

Dang girl, nothing like capturing the perfect shots. So fun!

J-Lo said...

Priceless! His eyes even match the mouth posture. BTW, how do you keep his nostrils so clean? Caleb always has boogers:)

Misa S said...

Darling, darling, darling...it has been too long! I can't believe we both have two kiddies...can life get any better...or busier! AHH! congrats! Let me know when you come to town!

Pace & Gwen said...

That's adorable! Too cute a story and super cute little man :) Good work guys!

Noel said...

Very cute. I have to agree with Jenny that those eyes match the expressions PERFECTLY. Just Precious! Love the story.

Suzanne said...

This is the best post I've seen lately! How cute!